Sunday, June 15, 2014

Crossing the Border.





Going hunting in Canada is not like going from Iowa to Nebraska.  When I started researching the Caribou hunt, it became very clear,  there was going to be a lot of homework that would have to be done.  Also, it is important to contact the right government agency in Canada to make the border crossing smooth and painless.  The really good news is when a phone call was made to a Canadian government office, the people could not have been more helpful.  They want our money.
 
Berkley Flicker Shad Crankbaits


Berkley Flicker Shad Crankbaits
This is the lure that I have been catching all the walleye on, not only last year, but this year.  Available in blue tiger, is the color to use.  Click on the link or pic to purchase.
Since it is the Manitoba I will be hunting in, I can only report on what was required in that province.  I believe the others may have specific rules and regulations of their own.
The first thing that was discovered, that bringing a handgun into the province was frowned upon.  Visiting with the outfitter, they definitely discouraged any guns other than the one or two I would be shooting on the hunt.  Going into a wilderness area without additional protection will be a first for me.  The guides I have been with in Wyoming and Idaho all carried a sidearm either on their hip or in a shoulder holster besides a rifle for extra protection.  So there will not be any additional firearms on this trip.  To bring in your rifle or whatever you are hunting with you will need to complete form RCMP GRC5589 EF filled out in triplicate but not signed. There is a $25.00 fee and you can pay in American Currency.  The RCMP's website is (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm), and you can find all the information you need regarding bringing firearms into Canada.  I also called their office and had the form mailed.  It took a long time for the form to come or you can pull it off the website. 
 
Offshore Angler Fillet Gloves


Offshore Angler Fillet Gloves
Don't slice up your hands filleting out the fish.  I own one of these gloves.
I was told by a friend not to bring anything other than what is on the form or it will be confiscated.
When I was a young person, fishing trips were common in Canada, and at the border we were met with extreme courtesy by the border agents with a question of "Where are you going, and how long will you be there."  This was followed by "have a good time."  Off we went to catch fish.  This has all changed and you now must present a pass port to enter the country.  I have no idea of the questioning process.  Fisherman that I visited with did not have any problems crossing the border.   
 
Benelli Super Black Eagle II Semi Auto shotgun


Benelli Super Black Eagle II Semi Auto shotgun
I shoot Benelli Super Black Eagle in Camo. Click on the pic or link above to price and buy from Bass Pro.
At my age in Iowa, I never took a gun safety course to obtain a hunting license.  This held true for the other states where I have hunted.  It came as a surprise that Manitoba requires anyone hunting in the province, must complete a hunter safety course.  Wow, how in tarnation would a person in Iowa get this completed.  A quick call to the outfitter took care of it, and I needed to contact the Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship, Wildlife Branch in Winnipeg.  Toll Free Phone is 1-877-633-4868.  You will be sent a simple one sheet form to complete.   I merely listed all the states that I have held a hunting license and a big game permit, plus how long I held a hunting license in Iowa and mailed the form to the Manitoba Wildlife Federation.  After four weeks had gone by a call was made to the division, and they pulled up my application and said it was approved and when the certificate would be mailed out.  Again, the people visited with were very courteous and helpful.  They want the business.

RedHead Ultra Fire-Resistant 25-Gun Safe


RedHead Ultra Fire-Resistant 25-Gun Safe

You should know, that the mail moves really slow, so be patient and plan well in advance.  My hunt will be the last week of August, but I obtained the Hunter Education Certificate in April of this year.  All my paperwork has been completed well in advance of the trip.  This will avoid panic attacks so when I go to cross the border, and arrive at the lodge all will be taken care of.
Gander Mountain
Click on the pic and go shopping at Gander Mountain.
If you are looking at a trip into Canada, and I can be of help please contact me through my e-mail.  (hank@outdoorswithhank.com)
Gander Mountain



 
Click on the link above and shop the deals.
 
Good hunting, good fishing, and good luck.  Hank

text




No comments:

Post a Comment