Saturday, January 18, 2014

Nothing Better Than Limiting Out




Yesterday a really nice big hen was harvested.  After the flock was busted, trying to pick off another one as they came back together did not work out.  In these woods it seldom does, but it is always worth a try.  The weather was a typical fall day with light winds and cool temperatures.  With a bright sun, a little extra precaution in picking a place to hide was critical.

Returning to the haunt from yesterday did not produce any action.  Still it was tempting to go to other parts of the farm to look for signs, glass the areas and see if there was some movement.  Wasting about ninety minutes it was still worth a try.  You never know where they will be with the nice weather and plenty off feeding opportunities. 
Hunting the road did not produce

Back at the landowners home he asked, "where have you been?"  "Some toms with some hens had just moved down the driveway and headed into the timber," he said.  It was time to find a good place to sit and read a book in a well concealed hiding place.  I also found out they periodically they had come from the northern most hill and had walked down behind the house.  He suggested I find a good place to hide on the hill.
Working the ridges was not productive, but good exercise.

This was a bit of a  problem for me as the top of the hill was about 30 yards long and 5 yards wide.  Then it fell off quickly to the east and west into the dense timber.  A shot to the south would be in the direction of the landowners home, and I would be in gun range if I took a southerly shot.  Any shot would have to be made straight easterly, westerly or northerly.  
Up the hill north of the owners home.  I hid just beyond the two trees standing on the left side of the picture.

An old fence post surrounded by brush right at the top of the hill on the west side looked really good.  In addition, there were droppings everywhere and they definetely had spent some time in this location.  Hunkered down, I opened my Kindle and slowly drifted off into a slight slumber.  It was about 1 PM and the sun was just off to my right shoulder and the heat felt really good.  
This is a lousy picture but it gives you the idea of concealment.  You can see my knee off to the lower left of the picture.  I can shoot over the top of the foilage.

A rustle in the grass and some clucking sounds brought me back to full alert.  Right out in front of me not more that ten feet came the flock of turkey.  When they are scratching and pecking the ground they move quickly, and the gun had to be brought up to my shoulder.  Moving slowly, the flock would be gone as they would pick up on the slightest movement.  Moving too fast would cause the flock to bust scattering everywhere and a decent shot would be lost.  To my right was the landowners home, and a shot in that direction would be a success, but the house might get peppered. 


Back toward the end of the flock was a small hen slowly making her way along.  While not as big as the ones passing me by, I could get this one.  The gun was brought up quickly and the bird was harvested with one shot.  The rest of them were out of there quicker than you could say "Yankee Doodle"  While not a big bird, it would dress out nicely and make a great meal out of each of the breasts.
 
Benelli 12 Gauge Super Black Eagle II Semi Auto Shotgun


Benelli 12 Gauge Super Black Eagle II Semi Auto Shotgun
I shoot this shotgun with the ability to shoot 3.5 inch shells.  I use 3.5 inch shells for turkey and geese.  Check the price at Bass Pro if you are looking for a new shotgun for the next season. On turkeys I shoot Kent Ultimate in 3.5 inch.


That was it for the season as the limit was reached.




Good hunting, good fishing, and good luck.  Hank


 

Click above to visit the website for great buys.

text

No comments:

Post a Comment